Legal tip sheets
We’ve created six tip sheets to help community workers, library staff, and other go-to “helpers” give legal information and referrals to people who come to them with legal problems. They are easy-to-understand and practical: the first two, for example, help workers detect legal problems and understand how far they can go in giving legal information.
Some of the tip sheets – such as the lists of reliable legal information sites and of free or low-cost legal services – can also be helpful to people with legal problems. They are easy to print off, so you may want to distribute them in workshops or events. We would welcome your feedback and suggestions!
Here are links to the individual tip sheets and referral lists:
- Our tip sheet “Detecting legal problems” sets out some common things you might hear clients say when they have a legal problem. It also links you to legal information that may be helpful.
- Community workers can give legal information to people even if they don’t have legal training. Our tip sheet “Giving legal information” gives examples of legal information and legal advice to help you understand the difference.
- French language version of “Giving legal information”
- There is a lot of legal information available online – so much that sometimes it can be hard to tell what you can rely on. Our tip sheet “Clues to reliable legal information” provides a checklist of what to look for when assessing the legal information you find online.
- French language version of “Clues to reliable legal information”
- Our tip sheet “Sources for online legal information” lists several websites where you can find reliable online legal information for people in Ontario.
- French language version of “Sources for online legal information”
- Our tip sheet “Legal services in Ontario” describes and gives contact information for free or low-cost legal services in Ontario.
- Our tip sheet “Hiring and working with a lawyer” sets out some examples of when it is important to consult a lawyer. It also contains tips on interviewing a lawyer and discussing fee structures with a lawyer.
Or, you can download the full kit in English.
Last updated in November 2018